#CyberFLASH: Ottawa must do more to fight cyber attacks in light of latest hack

10712553

Hacktivist group “Anonymous” has struck again in this country, leaking what the group says is a classified document from Canada’s spy agency CSIS.

The document is dated February of last year and reveals CSIS was trying to extend its secure network to twenty-five foreign stations.

The leaked document also reveals 70 CSIS operatives work at the stations, processing 22 500 messages a year.

A spokesperson with the government wouldn’t confirm the the legitimacy of the document.

“We do not comment on leaked documents and we continue to monitor this situation closely,” Jeremy Laurin said in an email.

Liberal MP Marc Garneau says the leak is troubling.

“I was very concerned when I found out that all of this information had been obtained by the group Anonymous,” Garneau said. “This is a very serious wake up call for the government, cyber security is a reality that we must address today.”

This latest hack is the latest in a long string. Last month, CSIS and the Government of Canada’s websites were victims of a cyber attack, and before that websites for the National Research Council and Revenue Canada were hacked.

Just last week, Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney announced 142 million dollars in funding for cyber security over the next five years, which is in addition to 94.4 million dollars allotted in the budget.

Garneau doesn’t think it’s enough.

Read more here

#CyberFLASH: Anonymous CSIS document leak probed by RCMP, CSE

ITALY-FLORENCE-ANONYMOUS-INTERNET

RCMP and Canada’s electronic spy agency are investigating the leak of a secret government document dealing with CSIS, Canada’s main spy agency, CBC News has confirmed.

Cybercrime investigators with the Communications Security Establishment (CSE) are looking into how the online international activist group Anonymous obtained the classified document and then leaked it to the media.

The probe comes after the National Post on Tuesday published a Treasury Board document supplied by Anonymous that reveals CSIS operates 25 foreign stations around the globe.

Investigators are also trying to track down the people responsible to determine whether they violated Canada’s Security of Information Act.
Etienne Rainville, a spokesman for the public safety minister, said little about the apparent breach or the document’s authenticity.

“We do not comment on leaked documents and we continue to monitor this situation closely,” he said in an email.

Anonymous demands action

In an accompanying video, Anonymous is threatening to release more sensitive government documents unless police in British Columbia do more to investigate the fatal RCMP shooting of Anonymous activist James McIntyre earlier this month in Dawson Creek.

Read more here

#CyberFLASH: Government reacts cautiously to possible classified document breach

images-115OTTAWA — The federal government is saying little about an apparent breach involving classified information.

Digital hacking collective Anonymous made good late Monday on a threat to release what it says is the first of many secret documents.

An apparent Treasury Board memo about funding of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service’s overseas communications capabilities was posted online.

The Canadian Press could not confirm the document’s authenticity and Jeremy Laurin, a spokesman for Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney, had no immediate comment.

Earlier Monday, Laurin said officials were closely monitoring the situation.

In an accompanying video statement, Anonymous denounced the recent shooting of an Anonymous supporter in British Columbia during a confrontation with the RCMP.

Read more here

#CyberFLASH: RCMP offline as deadline looms for ‘Anonymous’ leak threat

04489970-700x500

The national RCMP website is offline and has been since the early morning, seemingly part of a larger cyber attack by the hacker group Anonymous, who have given an impossible deadline to the police to arrest a particular Mountie by the end of the day or watch as high-level documents are leaked.

Hackers with Anonymous claim to have repeatedly hacked supposedly impenetrable government servers over several months and vowed last week that they would leak the classified national security documents in retaliation for the fatal shooting of James McIntyre in Dawson Creek, B.C., earlier this month, unless the officer responsible is arrested.

The 48-year-old McIntyre, who was shot outside a BC Hydro public meeting in Dawson Creek last Thursday, reportedly died wearing a Guy Fawkes mask and wielding a knife. Others claiming to be Anonymous members say McIntyre was a First Nations Anonymous member who, using the Twitter handle @jaymack9, helped organize opposition to the Site C Dam in northeastern B.C.

The RCMP has been given until today at 5 p.m. Pacific time to either arrest the officer or watch as Anonymous release the documents. The government has confirmed it is aware of the threat, which was posted repeatedly on social media.

The breaches happened in stages over several months, an Anonymous spokesperson told The National Post.

The RCMP has yet to comment on the website going offline early Monday and whether it’s due to maintenance or the result of an attack.

If what Anonymous is claiming is true, statements from the government that the low-level cyber attacks had no impact would be false and instead suggest the hacks may have gone undetected and deeper than the agencies were aware.

The hacktivists said the document dump was originally planned for September but was moved up because of the Dawson Creek shooting.

Read more here

#CyberFLASH: Anonymous says it hacked Canada’s security secrets in retaliation for police shooting of B.C. activist

 

anonymous-1Hackers with Anonymous say they breached supposedly secure Canadian government computers and accessed high-level, classified national security documents as retaliation for last week’s fatal shooting by the RCMP of a protester in British Columbia.

To support their claim, members of Anonymous provided the National Post with a document that appears to be legitimate Treasury Board of Canada notes on federal cabinet funding to fix flaws in the foreign stations of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS).

The Post has not independently been able to verify the authenticity of the document, marked with a security classification of “Secret.”

Anonymous activists say they will disseminate sensitive documents if the officer who shot James McIntyre in Dawson Creek, B.C., is not arrested by Monday at 5 p.m., Pacific time. That threat has also been made on social media and a government source confirms authorities are aware of the threat.

Activists say McIntyre was a member of Anonymous. When he was shot he appeared to be wearing a Guy Fawkes mask, often worn by supporters of the global hacktivist collective.

Anonymous says it has several secret files.

“We do have other documents and files. We are not going to speak to quantity, date of their release, manner of their release, or their topic matter at this time,” a spokesperson for a coterie of Anonymous told the Post in an interview conducted through encrypted communications.

“This will be an ongoing operation with expected surprise as a critical element.”

Read more here

#CyberFLASH: Public safety minister says Anonymous threats against RCMP taken seriously

Quebec hackerDELTA, B.C. – Canada’s public safety minister shrugged off questions Tuesday about his government’s response to threats against the RCMP by the hacktivist group Anonymous, saying he fully trusts law enforcement to investigate.

Steven Blaney said all threats are taken seriously but provided few details of how his government is responding, days after Anonymous claimed responsibility for shutting down the RCMP website.

“There are many ways this country enjoys freedom to express our democratic views,” he said. “I invite those who want to express their views to use democratic ways. Those who don’t expose themselves to face the full force of the law.”

Members of the loosely-connected vigilante group issued a news release on Saturday that claimed a masked man fatally shot by a Mountie in Dawson Creek, B.C., was an Anonymous member. The release vowed to publish the identity and personal information of the officer.

The next day, the force’s national website crashed for several hours. The RCMP has not confirmed that Anonymous hackers were responsible for the shutdown.

The Twitter account that originally posted the press release, @OpAnonDown, appeared to have been removed as of Tuesday afternoon.

Read more here

#CyberFLASH: Anonymous claims attack on RCMP websites in response to police shooting

dynamic_resize-6The hacktivist group Anonymous says it took down the RCMP’s national website Sunday as part of a campaign to avenge a fallen “comrade,” who died in a police-involved shooting in Dawson Creek, B.C. this week.

Members of the group have claimed responsibility for a series of cyberattacks against RCMP websites on Sunday, while also threatening to reveal the identity of the RCMP officer involved in the fatal shooting.

The RCMP’s national website, Dawson Creek affiliate site and the RCMP Heritage Centre site were all offline on Sunday. A Twitter account claiming to speak for Anonymous has taken responsibility for the outages, which started on Sunday afternoon.

A spokesperson from the Department of Public Safety says Sunday afternoon that they are “monitoring the situation closely.”

The apparent denial of service attacks come one day after Anonymous threatened to exact revenge for the death of a masked protester in Dawson Creek, B.C.

Anonymous says one of its members was shot dead by a police officer at a BC Hydro public hearing on Thursday, where the contentious Site C dam project was being discussed. The group sent out a tweet through one of its affiliated accounts after the shooting, saying it “would like to report a murder.”

Police say they were called to the hearing due to a reported disturbance. Once inside, they encountered a masked man who refused to comply with directions and was fatally shot, police said.

The shooting is currently under review by B.C.’s police watchdog, the Independent Investigations Office.

Read more here

#CyberFLASH: Hacktivists’ press release contains claims and threats

typing-image-genericThe group Anonymous sent a press release Saturday making a number of threats and claims after a shooting Thursday:

Anonymous Press Release: Operation Anon Down

Saturday – July 18, 2015 4:00 PM ET

At approximately 6:30 PM PT on July 17, 2015 at an Anonymous protest in Dawson Creek, British Columbia which the RCMP was informed about in advance, an RCMP officer mercilessly shot and killed a masked Anon without provocation or cause. This is the fourth Anon to be slain by security forces around the world in as many years. Turkey, Egypt, Palestine and now British Columbia in Canada. As in the past, Anonymous will not stand idly by while our own are cut down in mask. Anonymous has fought for the lives of protesters all over the globe, from Tahir Square in Egypt to Ferguson, Missouri. We will most certainly avenge one of our own when they are cut down in the streets while protesting the earth wrecking environmental policies of the Canadian government.

To this end Anonymous announces the launch of Operation Anon Down. The focus of this Op going forward will be gaining justice (and vengeance if necessary) for our fallen comrade in Dawson Creek. But we will also memorialize our previously slain brethren, and prepare to take action for future Anons killed by police – as we have no doubt they will cut down more of us.

To begin we will identify the RCMP officer involved, thoroughly dox him – and release that dox on the Internet. Because the world has a right to know every detail about killer cops. We will offer support and raise funds if necessary to cover the burial expenses of our fallen comrade. He will be buried with the honor and dignity that his courage has earned him. We will ensure that he is never forgotten, and takes his place in the growing ledger of brave Anonymous martyrs around the world. Then we will press the RCMP and Canadian government for justice. This RCMP officer must be named, fired, and charged – for the murder of our brother Anon. And if we do not receive justice, rest assured there will be revenge.

Read more here

© 2013 CyberTRAX Canada - All Rights Reserved.
Sponsored by C3SA Corp.