#CyberFLASH: Next year’s Ontario literacy test will be paper-only as investigation into cyber attack continues

gv_20140408_biv0108_140409938.jpg__0x400_q95_autocrop_crop-smart_subsampling-2_upscaleAfter widespread technical issues forced the cancellation of the first-ever online Ontario literacy test earlier this year, the agency tasked with administering the exam says next year’s version will be paper only.

The Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO) said Friday it would be temporarily shelving the online version of the test after its October launch was marred by a cyberattack. The organization said it still hasn’t successfully completed a large enough trial of the system since the attack and doesn’t know when the online version will be ready to use.

“Given the considerable frustration and anxiety that resulted from the cyberattack, EQAO feels that it would be irresponsible to put students at risk of any further issues without having completed a successful large-scale online trial,” the agency said in a news release.

The announcement comes after a brand new system for administering the test online crashed in October, leaving many students unable to complete the test.

The EQAO said the network was the target of an “intentional, malicious and sustained” cyberattack involving a “vast set of IP addresses around the globe.”

Most of the province’s 900 secondary schools — representing some 147,000 students — had signed up to participate in the test, which was a technical trial run before the first official test scheduled next year.

Read more here

© 2013 CyberTRAX Canada - All Rights Reserved.
Sponsored by C3SA Corp.